Light in the cave – or painting the interior

Dark teak interiors are valued in the Danish boating community – strange since we all seem to favor  light Nordic design. Chip-Chip has been owned by people who have loved to sail, and to sail far. Consequently, countless screw holes in the teak reminds us of long forgotten instruments, storing containers, fire extinguishers etc. And the interior is somewhat worn. Practically it doesn’t really matter, but still…

So we decided to start painting and varnishing in the v-berth. Esben sanded it down in early spring, and I did the research on varnish. Big topic apparently. We ended up going with Epifanes for no particular reason. But spring was cold in Northern Germany, so it took forever before could get started. In the end I decided that 5 degrees would have to do for varnishing, which meant that I could only apply a new coat after 48 hours, so the five (I think) coats took a while. After spending hours taping up the newly varnished surfaces, we started painting. We used Hempel’s Multicoat coat paint, which was okay – but it needed five coats to cover the wood completely.

 

Our head (toilet) is original and made of metal covered in flaky paint. We took it home to see if it could be saved, and in the meantime I continued to paint and varnish the little room to help make it a bit more inviting. I think I succeeded!

It was quiet an effort to get the sanding, varnishing and painting done, and the main cabin was still waiting – once started we would have to finish. But in the end we decided to go ahead. So Esben spent his last two days off after easter sanding everything down. Then he left to work in the UK for two weeks, and I could start the task of varnishing and painting. I ended up going every day for a couple of hours, and did a bit each day. The kids and I decided that we wanted to surprise Esben by telling him that there was no way I could do any work while he was away – and then when he came home everything would be finished. In the end I didn’t manage for that deadline, though, but finally everything was done. It was awesome!

We are really happy having finished this project. The boat is so much lighter now – and we can write draw on all the green surfaces, they were painted with chalkboard paint.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s