Into the Kieler Kanal

We had gotten to bed at around 1 am and slowly woke up to the sound of – nothing. Most mornings somebody yells that they need to use the bathroom, or pick a fight about a toy, but for the first time in a very long time Esben and I would be spending this weekend alone, without kids. And how nice it was to wake up to silence. The night before we had driven Mattis and Runa to Esben’s father where they would be spending the weekend – and then we drove the two hours back to Maasholm where Chip-Chip had spent the last three weeks in the marina.

We wanted to get to Rendsburg in the Kieler-Kanal by Sunday, and were not in a hurry. So of course we ended up staying until around 11. We had bought a new omnia oven, which was supposed to be great in the absence of a real oven on board. Esben had prepared dough for bread in the evening, and with some excitement we put it in the little oven. And it turned out that it worked exactly as well as everybody said, and we got fresh bread and coffee for breakfast. A great start to the day, and definitely a new tradition on board – it even gives less dishes to wash than our usual oatmeal with milk! And it is of course so much more delicious.

We finally left the harbour, and sailed out of the Schlei with many other boats. We set a course towards Kiel, where we wanted to enter the Kieler Kanal the next day. It was a great day of sailing, finally we had sun and off we went on a broad reach with the wind vane doing the steering. Soon we entered the Kiel Fjord, where it seemed that half the population of Kiel had gone sailing. Sailing dinghies zoomed in and out, some just for a pleasure sail, others were racing – and then there were the big ferries sailing to Norway and Sweden, along with the merchant vessels – and of course us.

We needed to top up our fuel tank before entering the kanal, and therefore went in to Strande, a marina in Kiel Fjord. Here, they had a proper fuel dock and we were soon off towards Holtenau, reading for the motor sailing the next day.


Diesel stand in Strande

We found a great spot in Kiel-Holtenau, right next to the big locks, and spent a lovely evening there. Once again we wanted to test our stove top oven, and made baked potatoes in it – it was great. We took a walk along the kanal and out to the old light house where people were singing loudly along to German schlagers.


The Omnia strikes again!

The next morning our neighbors asked on the VHF when they could enter the kanal – and where let right through. Awesome! After half an hour we went out – and were told to wait. After three hours there were approximately 15 pleasure boats waiting to get through and we were becoming somewhat impatient. It turned out that we had come exactly at the wrong time, when they started getting all the merchant vessels out of the kanal. But finally it was our turn, and we excited entered the lock. It all went rather smooth, and after 10 minutes we heard something in the loud speaker which we didn’t understand, but then the boats ahead of us began moving again, and we could see that the lock had opened and we could enter the Kieler Kanal. Pretty awesome!

As we entered the kanal, the sun came out again, and we continued slow but steady towards Rendsburg where we were meeting Esben’s dad and the kids. We would leave Chip-Chip in Rendsburg for another week and then come back by train to continue our trip towards Bremerhaven.


The scenery is not too exciting, but it’s still pretty cool to be in the kanal

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s